Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yes, Mr. President

When you are called to serve your country that is what you do. You serve. Last Tuesday was the Presidential Inauguration for the 44th President of the United States, and the University of Delaware Marching Band was called to represent their state, and their country in the Inaugural Parade.

On a cold January afternoon practice began for us. It was Sunday, and we practiced into the late night Sunday (yes we missed the playoff games) and then we continued to practice all day on Monday until we left for the Fairfax, VA High School that we would be spending the "night" in. I say "night" because we went to sleep at 11 pm, and had to be up at 3 am. Not really a night if you ask me. But we headed to the pentagon for the security screening. And then sat and waited. Then after we were screened, we sat and waited to actually be taken into the city. As we are driving into the city, it was amazing to see how many people were there. Back streets were packed about 100 people deep. It was absolutely crazy. Once in the city, we had to get out of the bus ASAP and into our warming tents. In there we were able to eat our lunch that was provided for us, as well as watch the Inauguration ceremony. It was a very cool thing to watch with all of your friends around you.


It was then that the real fun began. Standing outside for hours. We stood there. In the city. In the cold. Waiting. It was very cold, and I was worried that someone might not make it out alive. We had no clue why until we returned home and learned that a Kennedy had a seizure. It figures it would be a Kennedy (but thank God he is ok). Once the parade actually started the warmth was returned to my entire body. It felt great. And then the experience of a life time: walking past our President, Vice President and their families in the viewing booth. It was absolutely amazing. Now, I did not vote for Obama, and I do not believe some of the things that he believes, but he is still the President of the United States and it was an honor to serve.

Here are some videos that you can watch that shows the band performing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v32ruPU0KLI

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2009/jan/bandvideo012309.html

There are many more out there and I also have a few pictures, but I can not find the chord to my camera to put a few on. As soon as I find them I will.

Tomorrow I will update you on the missions trip that I will be going on this summer.

Catch ya Later

No comments: